On November 14, 2017, facebook updated its events app to help people discover places and things to do based on their current location as well as recommendations and check-ins from friends, reviews and more. Facebook Local combines events and information on permanent places in a single App that is now available for download on iOS and Android. As evidence of how new this app is, there were just over 10 thousand downloads while I'm writing this. Considering that the facebook app has over 1 billion downloads, it seems to me that Facebook Local is only in its infancy with the potential to become the only events and local app that you need.
After installing Facebook Local, a brief review shows fairly organized options to help you find just about any type of event or attraction that you could possibly want. Search by location or browse by type of attraction - there is a long, specialized list including restaurants, drinks, art, food, shopping, wellness, gardening, religion, comedy and many others. You can also browse by events happening today or coming up in the week ahead. The options are many!
Whether you are looking for something to do with friends this weekend, or you're out exploring a new neighborhood, Facebook Local helps you find it. Here are 10 reasons to give it a try:
- Never forget your plans! Get notifications and never miss an important reminder or event.
- Stay up to date. Pick a city and see updates from friends.
- Discover things to do near you, wherever you are. Find restaurants, shopping, music and more with the ability to search for events, places and activities nearby or in another city or neighborhood. Includes interactive map.
- Browse timely Guides to find events, places and things to do by category.
- See event invitations you haven't responded to at the top of your calendar.
- See the most recent activity, events and places that your friends are interacting with.
- Get updates from event hosts and from pages that you follow.
- Filter events by time, category, location and more.
- Get recommendations based on what's popular with your friends, events you've been to in the past, pages you like and from facebooks Curated Guides.
- Choose to add calendars from your phone to see all of your plans in one place.
- Opt-in to get notifications about your events so you know if details change.
From a marketing perspective, I've always recommended posting your events in facebook, if you needed another reason, this is it!